9/18/2007

A Trip Through Logic (From an Informationalist's Perspective)

I learned a little bit of philosophy humor today in regards to contradictions. After thinking about it a little bit in depth, I came to conclude that perhaps what I learned could be useful in demonstrating the necessity of Informationalism. Let us begin with the simple statement: "Everything follows from a contradiction."

What is meant by this? I was exposed to this argument:

It is raining. It is not raining. Therefore, God exists.

Now, at first glance this argument appears as nothing more than nonsense. But in most sequential logic this argument is completely valid. Meaning that if the premises are true, and the conclusion follows from the premises. Then the argument is also sound! Here is the argument spelled out in sequential logic.


P= It is raining
Q= God Exists

1. Show Q Assertion
2. ~Q Assumption (Indirect Derivation)
3. P Premise
4. ~P Premise

In order to prove the validity of this argument, you need only create a contradiction that follows from the premises if we assume the conclusion is false. We have done that, thus the argument is valid. We can derive ANY conclusion from these methods. As long as we have two contradictory statements and a conclusion, the conclusion is always a valid one.

-------------------

Now, you may ask. Why on earth is this relevant? It will never been the case that at the same place and point in time it is both raining and not raining!

ABSOLUTELY! I would reply. But as an Informationalist one must look into the broader implications of this data.
What this actually says is: Someone who believes two contradictory statements at the same time must in order to be logical believe ANYTHING.

-------------------

Do people do this? I'm sure you have encountered individuals, maybe even yourself, that have believed two contradictory statements at the same time. Maybe you believe that it is wrong to steal. And then in some cases you think it was reasonable for someone to steal. Maybe you believe in only one god, but at times you think it's correct to believe in multiple gods. Inconsistency.

One of the goals of Informationalism is to explore the premises and conclusions that create the thoughts in our own minds. We try and look at what the data says and determine if the conclusions are valid. But this is very difficult if one believes two contradictory statements at the same time!

So, I ask once again. Explore your reasons for believing what you believe in your mind. Do you find contradictions? If so, remember that you now have no real grounds to dismiss the truth of any statement unless you rectify the contradiction. Choose the conclusion or premise best supported by the data, and go from there.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A curious portal of discovery and a good read. This raptor enjoys that which is unusual causing me to say, "Hmmmm!" It's a pleasing discovery to find something other than vanilla ice cream when I landed here!

I'll be soar back soon after giving this post some thought!

BTW, thanks for landing at the nest - it is differnt. Kinda like right here, oui?

Ato de...

Octavian said...

Yes it is. And thank you for stopping by here as well. I'll add you to my list of Informative links!

Gracie said...

People do show a tendency to have tunnel vision especially concerning matters of emotional significance or religious beliefs.

I like your analysis and conclusion - lots to think about.

Octavian said...

Thanks. My hope is to get people to open up that tunnel vision a little bit. And maybe they'll see something new!

Coffee Messiah said...

Oh my, that was awfully good! ; )

I wish I could remember, but while on a drive in Fargo, on NPR, was an interview with a man who wrote a book on this subject, albeit on the word usage and their meanings in this way. I should have written it down.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Octavian,
Yes, I must admit you have a logical point there. But I don't want to muddle my mind with the subtleties of mental gymnastics. I've been through that processes before. I prefer to simplify things now and dwell on matters of faith. You are young and your mind is still in the process of exploring the heights and depths of mental informationalism (as you term it) and reasonings. I am now on the homeward stretch of my journey through life's vast terrain and I want to simplify my eventual exit. Thanks anyway for the enlightening post. I benefited from it. Believe me, I did. And thanks for your very generous gesture of posting my blog on the utube. Aaaw, you didn't have to do that. But thanks anyway. I will treasure that magnanimous gesture of yours for the rest of my life. In all things, to God be the glory. Thanks again. Smile. God bless. Have a nice and peaceful day.

pissed off patricia said...

I think a lot of people are very content with their tunnel vision. It's easier than actually looking at both sides of any issue.

Octavian said...

Thank you for your comments. Mel, you and I share different lives, but I try to understand your perspective.

I do not currently have a family. And the course of my life is far from set. I know this probably alters my perspective quite a bit from yours.

I can imagine that having a family changes how one views the world. Once I read a series of books called the Ender's Shadow Series by Orson Scott Card. It delt a little bit with the mind of a family man.

Best wishes!