11/05/2006

Bertrand Russell on clarity and exact thinking

This is the only clip I could find of Bertrand Russell. Perhaps one of the most famous thinkers in the history of the world. The way he speaks of clarity and exact thinking are very important I feel. Though it might never be possible to be totally rid of your bias, one should at least try to be aware that it exists. One should always be on the lookout for where it might spring up, because it can distort your information. I also believe he might have been correct in asserting that the autobiolgraphical philosophy of old, while having value, might interfere with progress in the modern world.

3 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

Too bad the clip is cut off.
Before Krishnamurti died, I had heard him speak and was blown away, although not enough to be any sort of follower ; )
Never have, never will be....but, to see change as it exists and to accept that everything changes while looking at it, hmmm, I'm sure you understand.
Thanks for the clip!
I wonder if common sense will ever rear it's head in this country.
Hope tomorrow isn't another fiasco.

NEWSGUY said...

Precise thinking. Common sense. What a concept. I am pretty sure our current US leaders would find it strange and exotic. Dangerous, even.

Anonymous said...

I saw Khrishnamurti speak too. Small world. Ha was so clear.

My grandmother was a big follower of Bertrand Russell and pragmatism. She believed in the power of positive thoguht.