11/13/2006

My Bias

In order to begin a clear and candid discussion of Information, I think it is pertinent to talk about what my personal preferences are. Too often people present ideas as if they were true, when in reality they are entirely subjective matters of personal preference. We must distinguish between the normative and positive statements.

Normative statements are judgments of value.

Positive statements are statements of fact that can be used to support normative statements.

Informationalism relies heavily on the positive, but it does take a normative stance. Namely, that the goal of humanity is the continuity of the species, and that this can best be achieved by acquiring and distributing information as avidly and freely as possible.

This is where the first conflict arises. Religions, such as Islam and Christianity, propose that humans have an immortal soul that can go to heaven or hell based on following or not following their canon of scripture. Here the goal is not the continuation of human existence, it is entry into heaven. They also do not value the pursuit of Information, only the observation of the tenets of their Canon of scriptures. Hence, my commentary earlier on the definitions that must be met for religion to be in harmony with Informationalism.

Informationalism seeks all positive statements with this in mind. It is the normative judgment of the Informationalist that the more positive information he possess, the greater the chance of the survival of the Informationalist and the species.

Before I go further into my bias, I would like to say that it is possible that positive statements could disprove Informationalism. Perhaps we could come across information that proves the survival of the species is not important, or that the free acquisition and distribution of Information does not help the species survive. If this be the case, the perspective of Informationalism stands debunked. However, this Information has yet to surface, and it is my normative suggestion that it is highly unlikely that it ever will. Let me also say that freely pursuing Information to find out that the information debunks this free flow seems somewhat contradictory in nature.

Bias-

1. I believe in the Democratic Republican form of government. I believe in the separation of Powers into the legislative, executive and judicial. I feel that the legislative body would be best if it were one body instead of two as it is in my country of America. I also feel that another governmental body should be established to evaluate the other three branches in terms of the efficiency and promotion of free Information.

2. I believe in Natural Social Capitalism. A system of Economics of (to my knowledge), my own invention. I suggest that we should structure out society to provide a minimum standard of living to all who live in it. When individuals are allowed free (free in the sense that they pay for it with their taxes) access to healthcare and education, they can then be encourages to compete from there. No one has to go hungry, nobody has to die due to starvation of lack of medical care, and the people who want to keep to themselves can keep to themselves. I think there will always be plenty of ambitious people, even more when no one has to worry about a full stomach.

3. I believe our ultimate governmental goal should be a world government structure around the first two principles I have just laid out.

4. I believe humanity's ultimate goal is to develope technology sufficient enough to explore the stars and the rest of our universe first hand.

** I have many other normative opinions that I will attempt to keep out of my Informationalist analysis. There are some conclusions that naturally follow embracing the normative foundation of Informationalism, the rest are constructed by the individual. Informationalism encourages a variety of opinions, especially in areas where the degree of uncertainty is especially large. It is still important, however, to be skeptical in areas of extreme certainty. But, as I said, we might want to avoid putting faith in the flying pig.

As an Informationalist one is allowed to have normative opinions that one can support with Informationalism. I will do my best to inform you when I notice I am making a conjecture that is entirely of my own judgment, and not based on enough positive Information to be considered a nearly definite conjecture.

3 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

Yikes! You mean there are no flying pigs?
Interesting read and do agree about "following" (find it hard to follow anything/group myself)of any type and it does seem that life would be more simple to everyone, if "everyone" had a chance to play the game, rather than segregating people as they are done now, by so many things, too numerous to list, but venture to guess you already know this!
Cheers!

Octavian said...

I agree, forced segregation into stereotyped groups doesn't help. Especially we you aren't aware that you're doing it.

Unfortunately, I do think flying pigs are likely not to exist. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Unknown said...

Very interesting, thanks for stopping by my blog octavian and do come back.
The separation of power in our government must be upheld to put down tyranny. Nice blog, take care my friend.