9/13/2007

Carl Sagan Speaks

Carl Sagan is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest men in the history of the world. In all my readings rarely do I encounter an individual with such a passion for possibility. The possibility of a better life and a better world for everyone. He challenges our nationalism, our religious fervor, our own ethnocentrism in ways that to me make them seem indefensible.
When I hear him speak I a almost feel compelled to stand up and shout at that very moment: Do you not see, we are all one!
I am a firm believer in the technological ability and power of the human species to create a bright future for everyone who would embrace it. I hope those of you who read this feel the same.

3 comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Octavian,
Carl Sagan is one of the great thinkers of the modern time. His thoughts are far ahead of his contemporary time. Time will judge the validity of his thoughts. Thanks for the great post. I learn from it. God bless.

Gracie said...

I'm so glad you posted this gem. Carl Sagan's voice is needed even more today given the direction this country has taken with the religious fundamentalists and the Bush administration's lack of understanding and disgust for science. What year is this?

I posted the words to this episode of Cosmos in May of 06 as it affected me in a way that words can't describe. "Who Speaks for the Earth" is powerful - feel free to read it in its entirety along with an amazing piece written by his wife. (one immediately before Who Speaks for the Earth)

Thanks for these wonderful words of wisdom by one of the finest....

SamGail

Anonymous said...

What I find most encouraging about Sagan, is that he was willing to be the passionate spokesman for his ideas and beliefs even in the face of ridicule from his peers.

I think that Al Gore has admirably taken up that mantle.