9/11/2007

I think this video provides a good example about how one should consider events from different perspectives. Informationalism is about trying to rationally and empirically explore all assumptions, especially our presuppositions. This man has obviously put a lot of thought into his opinions, and feels very strongly about them. While I prefer a little more open-mindedness even in the face of rational and empirical certainty, it is certainly preferable to unexplored assumptions.
We all possess ideas be they religion or just every day assumptions that are untrue. They might not be untrue, they might just be ambiguous, but we still view them as true. This is because we've never taken the time to sit down and explore exactly why we think the way that we do.
So, my challenge to you readers is this: Whatever it is you feel is true with passion-stop- analyze why you feel this way. Try to imagine the world if it were false. Does it being false cause the world to make more sense or create contradictions. If so, are these contradictions real, or are they again something you have imagined to be true? It is an iterative method that I feel might clean up some of the misconceptions we all have and maybe lead us to more exciting possibilities.
I like to think we make many of our assumptions as if we were operating in a dream. There are glaring contradictions in our thoughts all around us, yet we do not notice them. Thus I implore you to stop for a few moments and consider your thoughts. Notice.


2 comments:

Chuck said...

Hi Octavian :) I'm retuning your visit to my political blog.

This is a great blog. I read down through most of your posts. I like it because it is different and it forces a reader to think.

I can appreciate that man's intelligence in the video in this entry, although he did start getting a bit sarcastic near the end, but so what? Its his video. Belief systems are powerful; possibly the most powerful "things" there are.

As far as religion goes, I am of the opinion that all forms of it are a weakness- possibly humanity's biggest weakness. I consider that atheism is just a word. Nothing negative meant. I'm just saying.

Anyway, nice to meet you.

Chuck said...

Thanks for that link! I've reciprocated.